Follow me on Instagram

Instagram

4.08.2015

My First Quilt

It's definitely going to be a WORK IN PROGRESS! I thought I'd start blogging about the process and just update as I get more done :)

Here's my inspiration: 

My goal is for it to be throw size for our living room. I've calculated I'll need about 72 blocks... so far I've completed 20 and then ran out of fabric. 

Step 1: The fabric pull

I choose Cotton and Steel's August Line by Sarah Watts



The dark blue fabric in the middle is from the same line but I'm going to use it consistently throughout my quilt. It will be the green from my inspiration quilt above. 

Here's a few tutorials I'm using: 

Both offer just about the same methods but include different photos.

Step Two: Size of Blocks

To make this quilt you will need some form of paper backing. I've chosen to use notebook paper and recycled computer paper. It really doesn't matter what you use, just don't use anything think like card stock. Trim your paper to the size block you want to make. My block was determined by my fabric. I am using a 10" charm pack and when I cut my fabric into strips the largest block I could use and still get the fabric to cover was a 6 1/2" block. Trim your paper to determined square size. I will need 72 blocks for my throw size quilt 54"x 72" or there about.




Step 3: Cutting your fabric

For my main piece I decided to make strips 1" wide. All of the other fabrics I've made in 1.5" and 2"  and 2.5". 




Step 4: Glue... yes glue. 

You'll need a basic glue stick or two. If you want to copy my quilt and have a consistent color running though your quilt (mine's blue) then you will want to glue all of the same color and size fabric at this point. If you want the quilt to be more random then just glue any piece and any size.  

Glue your pieces of fabric directly to the middle of the paper on the diagonal. 

Step 5: Sew

This is where you'll need to refer to one of those tutorials I mentioned above. I didn't take any photos of this part. But basically you will alternate sewing right sides together, press, repeat, until your paper is covered. There isn't really a wrong way to do this. 
You'll end up with something like this: 






Step 6: Trim
Using your rotary cutter flip you fabric over so you can see the paper. Trim off the excess... you can save these scraps to use on your next piece- especially as you get to the corners and you only need a little piece. 


There will be more steps on assembling the quilt. Like I said I'm still making my blocks, and I hope you will join me too! 
Here's my WIP (Work in Progress) laid out. 

I also joined a quilt block swap and used the same style to make this 12" quilt block. It's all sewn together. 



I finished the quilt top in December 2015. I hemmed and hawed about the lay out for quite a while. In the end I went with the one Marvin liked best as it will likely be a quilt that staying in our living room. 


I went with layout #4. It is all sew together now and I'm going to try spray basting it. The spray baste I got was from JoAnn Fabric. 

The backing fabric is a double gauze from Cotton & Steel. It is mustard color. Gauze is a sheer light wait fabric but when it's double (hence double gauze) it is not transparent and is incredibly soft. I'm hoping it will give my quilt a cuddly feel. Here is what one blogger says about Double Gauze



My binding will be the same blue speckle that is creating the diamond style in the quilt. 

Sewing Level: Beginner
Cost to make: WIP... so far about $60
Time: 6 hours

1 comment: